A Nose For Justice

Ken Raines



Joseph Franklin Rutherford (1869-1942)

In the early Golden Age magazines one will find a recurring series of very short pieces called Color and Character. This was back in the days of "character development" when the Watchtower Society [Jehovah's Witnesses] believed that a Christian should be concerned with developing a "Christian" character.

One of the most humorous ones to me appeared in the Golden Age of January 19, 1921 on page 224. I think you will get a kick out of it as well. It was called Color and Physiognomy. This dealt with a supposed connection between the color and shape of one's facial features and one's "character". It reminds me of what Duane Magnani has called "Brains for salvation" which referred to Russell's view that the shape of one's head and brain predisposed one either to salvation or a rejection of the gospel. In the Color and Physiognomy article a paragraph was included dealing with the size of one's nose and what this can tell us about a person's character. It claimed that:

"The size of the nose, as also the size of the eyes, is not without significance. The small-nosed man cannot have a judicial mind, whatever his other excellencies may be. And a man whose nose upturns can no more be expected to administer justice than a pug dog can be expected to act as a shepherd." (The Golden Age, January 19, 1921, p. 224)

A profile drawing of a man accompanied this paragraph that displayed the 'character'-istics discussed in the article. (Reproduced on the right.) It looks to me like J. F. Rutherford's profile. (Compare with photo of Rutherford reproduced on the right.) Is this a coincidence? Given the fact that Rutherford was called "Judge" Rutherford and had a healthy, good sized honker adorning his cranium, I don't think so. Based on this Golden Age I guess you could say the "Judge" had a "nose" for justice!

[Note: If any of my readers claim that I am being unkind or unjust in this or any articles I would point out that I, like Rutherford, am graced with a large sniffer that does not upturn, thus attesting to my "sense" of justice. I will be happy to provide photographic proof!]


Index · Portuguese · Copyright © 1994 Ken Raines · https://corior.blogspot.com/2006/02/0129.html